Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Question of Spirit beginning - extended version

This takes you up to the first diary entry (the blog entry below this one), there will be more between the two diary entries written later but my head hurts right now. I've expanded this section by about 100 words from the "first expansion" that I'd mentioned below, so now it is almost exactly double the pitiful showing I made during Nanowrimo (this is the section I wrote, then it was only 599 words, it is now 1195, which still isn't even what you're supposed to write PER DAY during Nanowrimo, but hey, it's an improvement, right?). Hopefully the formatting will cooperate as I cut-and-paste from Word here or I'm going to be VERY annoyed. I'll try to remember to audioblog it soon, and will likely just include the first diary entry in the same file when I do (if you see the link here, then I've already done it and was too lazy/distracted to edit this text).

SO

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Laying on my bed, fingers curled into my hair, I flip through the pages of one of the scrapbooks from the stack on my nightstand. Images of familiar faces in settings I don’t recognize flit before me, experiencing emotions I don’t understand but can’t deny. Lives that seems so alien, intangible.

The papers and layouts, chosen with such care, give details of tales that are stored in my body memory, yet inaccessible without this external trigger. Like a gun, it fires holes in my perception, filling the room with the smoke of yesterday and stinging my eyes until they tear. Letters, interspersed with the photographs, scribble out excitement I cannot share, sorrows that fail to tug at my heart. I reach out and trace the lines, trying to feel some lingering bit of the spirits that wrote them. The connection has been lost to time; they are now just cold words on a page.

Sighing, I roll over and look out the window. Night has fallen but the streetlight in front of the house blocks out the twinkle of the stars. The tattered lace curtains suggest the outline of a form against the window frame, ghost image of one of the inhabitants of the photographs, but then I move and the thought disappears. I feel the sudden, desperate need to feel the starlight and the bite of the cool spring night air on this flesh. The sleeping dogs lift their heads in interest as pass them, moving swiftly through the small, time-weary house. I grab my keys off the dingy kitchen counter and rush out the back door to the car that waits like a stallion, impatient to be ridden.

I know where I’m going. I’ve been there before, but as someone else. Something calls every cell of my being to this spot, magnetically. I take the same route she did, but with more care. I would walk there, but I don’t know any way except this high-speed road full of twists. I revel in the thrill of the sharp circle turn that takes me westward, my foot willing itself to press harder on the petal toward the more daring speed my predecessor required to feel alive. My nerves and muscles become alert for the outward force the turns of the road exert on the less cautious. I will myself to lighten up on the pedal, to go at a more sane speed, though there really is no point. Mine is the lone car on the road at this hour, just as it was that other night. Every sense is reliving the experiences, though it is less bitterly cold tonight. The bitterness is internal now. I wonder briefly if the taste in my mouth will ever change as I pull off the exit ramp and into the parking lot for the pier.

Leaving the car behind me, I walk up the solid concrete stairs and toward the cold metal railing, stopping under one of the main over-head lanterns. The lights of Cleveland’s skyline play in friendly competition with the brilliance of the stars over the grand lake. For a brief second I think I feel the waves below slapping across my face, angrily telling me to turn back and remember the lessons this form has already been taught, but I shrug it off. That’s not why I’m here tonight anyway.

“Hello, Artemis.” Her voice carries a metallic tone of boredom instead of the tinkle of bells it used to bear.

“Hello, Euryphaessa,” I respond with a slight bow of my head.

When I look up again, she is scrutinizing me. “You are not here to end your existence.” Her tone is matter-of-fact, not a question. “Have you found what you came here for?”

I turn my gaze back to the stars. Ghost-lights from thousands of years past play upon my eyes, dilating them enough that I experience a slight pain when I turn my gaze back to the brighter light bathing my companion.

“I don’t know what I was looking for,” I finally reply. “Does the dream exist beyond the dreaming?” An owl hoots from a nearby tree as we share silence. “If all we do is dream, do we exist at all?”

“Tales are built upon dreams of men, my dear,” she replies.

“But what use are tales?”

“They tell us who we are, the tales we tell of ourselves and others. They give our lives shape and meaning.”

“And what if we decide we don’t like those tales any more?” There is a sourness in my throat as these words rise on the frigid air.

“Worse, what if everyone stops telling the tales you know to be true?”

It is my turn to scrutinize, and I notice subtle differences. The gold of her hair has faded, not to silver but to a dull grey. The light that shone from her eyes in all the tales we used to tell has gone out.

“Your stories are still told,” I counter.

“Stories are still told, but they are not my stories. My name is used, but to describe a being I have never met, with desires completely foreign to my own.” She grips the railing, white-knuckled, and then looks me in the eye again. “Your stories still bear some resemblance to the girl I knew.” Her hand rises to my cheek, almost of its own accord, and the touch is as cold and insubstantial as the breeze.

“Euryphaessa -”

“My time has ended. I cannot even answer the call of my own name with the surety that it is I who is called. May your time continue, my child.”

With these last words, her arms rise to the heavens, the lantern above us sputters out, and she falls forward toward the waiting waves. When I can finally bear to look down, there is a glimmer upon the surface, glittering like flakes of gold. I blow a kiss to her memory and walk back toward the car, somehow unable to shed even a single tear.

The drive home is slower, reverent, a solitary funeral procession for Euryphaessa. I drive toward the shining spectacle of downtown, around the flirtatious curves of the highway as it follows the lake, past steaming smoke stacks of industry and the iridescent glow of the hospital and back to my home on Castle Avenue.

Once I am securely inside again and the dogs have been acknowledged to their satisfaction, I return to my bedroom. Instead of the scrapbooks, kneal beside the bed and I reach for a box hidden beneath. Opening it cautiously, I rifle through the contents, carefully set aside the delicate carbon-duplicates of hospital discharge papers, slightly crumpled bills, and some bland greeting cards mostly saved for the return addresses on their envelopes. My objective lies at the bottom, and sticks slightly to the elderly box, resisting my efforts. A delapitated diary, looking as if it has had several episodes of violence inflicted upon it, finally sits in my lap. I open it gently, but dispite my caution, a page falls partway out. I turn to it and feel submerged in the psyche of the woman who penned the words.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you are going to cover this in more detail elsewhere or not, so... You explained to me the concept behind why a god/dess chooses to end their existence, but I'm not sure if its really clearly conveyed here. That is, why does she choose to cease to exist rather than try to change the way others (mortals) view her? I think that if its not more clearly illustrated, then social mores regarding suicide will obscure what you are trying to say?

Geez, does that even make sense? Didn't mean to get so wordy!

Sofie said...

Hmm... this is exactly the kind of feedback I need. I'm not sure yet if I need to expand this section of it, or if it'll be OK to include that information later - it may not be MUCH later (Persephone and Artemis will be having a little chat right after the hospital scene I posted earlier, which will touch on this topic, though technically that happens - from a human/linear time perspective - "before" this scene). When the stories are no longer told, humans are not able to be fully aware of the beings/god/desses. Boredom brings death, so to speak. It's still pretty much an anomic suicide (as was Diana's, essentially), so I'm not sure if, even if explained more fully, it'll ever really sit well with the common social mores - when is suicide EVER really acceptable to a healthy mind and body? Should it ever be? I don't think so. This is the basis of the book - Artemis fighting against that darkness that calls to her as it called to Euryphassa (whose name I probably just mangled - still haven't learned how to pronounce it so of course I can't spell it... and that's also part of the hold-up with getting an audio up, can't find a pronunciation guide for it anywhere since she's not a common goddess, which is why I picked her, so a bit circular there).

There's an intentional mirroring between Eury's and Diana's suicides. Is it coming through? Of course, you haven't "seen" Diana's suicide yet (you will), so it may not be blatently obvious yet. I'll be trying to make it not too blatently obvious later, so we'll see.

Marlo said...

Hey Sofie!

Just dropping by, as you asked :)

It feels like I dropped in the middle of conversation here, so....are these excerpts of your work-in-progress? I hope I'm not saying something brain-breakingly obvious but....do you know they can call this a first printing? I don't know what your plans for publication are, but most markets demand a never appeared anywhere under any circumstances situ. Again, I hope you're not rolling your eyes at me right now, i just couldn't help mentioning it.

Sofie said...

Marlo, these are first-drafts of a work in progress. Is that really a problem in the publishing industry? I'm not actually planning to post the whole book in the blog (might be around 20% that gets up here would be my estimate). What's up here so far is the opening of the book and a few scenes, the plan is to have some other scenes, maybe the refinement process of the begining, but nothing past a certain turning point in the book that I have in my head (though I wouldn't mind people willing to read it privately to be able to tell me if I'm being too predictable).

I've not tried to professionally publish anything in the past, and I'm not entirely sure if I'm up to the challenge - I've heard it can be a horrid rollar coaster. Have you been through it to give me some pointers? My granduncle was a published author but he died when I was 5, so even if I were to find his notes I'm sure the publishing scene is much different now.

This comment took forever - blogger didn't want to let me log in for some reason

Marlo said...

Hey Sofie!

Yes, most markets are quite fanatical about rights, and will absolutely say that posting it to a public web page is publishing.

I started professionally publishing (meaning getting paid for my work to appear in digital or paper print) about ten years ago. My first sales were actually to ezines, which were very new then. I still had to explain to most people what the net was, rolling my eyes when people called it "the internet" or even worse "the worldwide web". :P

I've always worked freelance, independent, and my experience is in the small press. So if you want an in at Random House, I am so useless to you. :D

The publishing scene changes from moment to moment. Research is a huge part of geting published, and it's a constant process, because markets are fluid.

Sofie said...

Um... well... I'm working on this story again but I can't remember which email address I set up this blog with, so it's getting abandoned I guess. At least until I solve that mystery. I am setting up a website sofiaomoore.com where I plan to blog as well as have restricted access to the story parts I'm working on (I lost/misplaced all my digital notes about this project and all the writing progress that wasn't on this blog during computer transfers, or during a hard drive crash, or it's backed up somewhere that I can't figure where I stuck it, so I'm getting fanatical about off-site backups in logical places now).

I will be able to be contacted via sofiaomoore.com and will try to blog about the progress I make on this when I have the time. I've had another child since the last post here so things are still progressing in spirts between children's needs!


Sofie